Sunday, April 13, 2008

"Mom, the Prophet!"

Today when we were walking from the parking lot into our church building Kelsey saw an older man wearing a suit and holding a brief case. Excitedly she shouted, "Mom, the prophet!" Her happy exclamation was an answer to my prayer. Let me explain: last week during General Conference I felt so uplifted by Elder Ballard's talk on Mothers. In it he said:

"There are moments of great joy and incredible fulfillment, but there are also moments of a sense of inadequacy, monotony, and frustration. Mothers may feel they receive little or no appreciation for the choice they have made. Sometimes even husbands seem to have no idea of the demands upon their wives."

He then counsels that we need to "recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction" Today I had a joyful moment! There are times I often feel inadequate in my roles as a mother. I feel there is so much I need to teach my girls and I have such high hopes and aspirations for them. When Kelsey thought she saw the prophet today, I felt Heavenly Father was sending me a message that what I had been doing in trying to teach Kelsey the gospel, in particular about our new prophet President Monson, was working and that I was doing a good job.

There are so many times I feel so inadequate and that I am not doing enough, Kelsey's joyful exclamation brought me comfort and then today as I have been studying, I felt an added peace when I came across a talk given by President Erying in the October 2007 conference entitled, "Rise up to your call." His talk is counsel to those who have callings in the church, but I am relating what he said in this instance to my calling as a mother. He said:

"If I only think of my own performance, my sadness deepens. But when I remember that the Lord promised that His power would go with me, I begin to look for evidence of what He has done in the lives of the people I am to serve. I pray to see with spiritual eyes the effects of His power."

Kelsey was evidence for me of his power today when she saw the "prophet". It was also evidenced when Blake called from the hospital to talk to us during his dinner break. Kelsey and I had just sat down to read scriptures, when Blake called. I talked to him a while, then Kelsey wanted to talk to him. I heard Blake ask her if she was going to bed then Kelsey responded, "No, have to read scriptures first." Pure evidence that the Lord is magnifying my abilities as a mother and that He is with me in my mothering. President Erying concludes:

"You can have the utmost assurance that your power will be multiplied many times by the Lord. All He asks is that you give your best effort and your whole heart. Do it cheerfully and with the prayer of faith The Father and His Beloved Son will send the Holy Ghost as your companion to guide you. Your efforts will be magnified in the lives of the people you serve. And when you look back on what may now seem trying times of service and sacrifice, the sacrifice will have become a blessing, and you will know that you have seen the arm of God lifting those you served for Him, and lifting you."

AMAZING! I LOVE THE GOSPEL!

M Russell Ballard, "Daughter's of God," April 2008 General Conference
http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-851-37,00.html

Henry B. Eyring, “Rise to Your Call,” October 2002 General Conference
http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/EmailArticleProcess?action=update&cmlId=217658&locale=0&emId=593568239

7 comments:

Erin said...

I always admire what a good mom you sound like (I still have yet to see you in action). I have no idea how I'll do it when I am there (thankgoodness I still have some time) but I'll definately be looking to you for an example!

Amber said...

Thanks Cam, for that post. I'm right there with you, wondering if I'm doing a good job as a mom. I read through Elder Ballard's talk again and it is definitely a big comfort knowing that the General Authorities are mindful of us humble mothers. :-) Now, how do I get Brett to read through it again without seeming like I'm hinting at anything...? :-)

Nat said...

I love those moments!!! Sometimes when we read scriptures I wonder if Niah is even listening but the other night she was 'reading' from her little BOM and she said, "And it came to pass that the mean guys put Jesus on the cross. Then he was resurrected." That was one of those great moments for me, she really does listen!!! It makes all the work seem so worth it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, that was such a cute story.

Annette said...

You are such a great Mom! I love this post. Wasn't General Conference so wonderful? I really liked this particular talk too. You are a wonderful example of a righteous Mother to me. I miss being your visiting teaching companion and spending time together because you always inspired me.

Logan and Tanya said...

What a little sweetheart! You have some very sweet little girls entrusted to you! It's fun to watch you and Blake as parents. You're obviously doing a great job with them! Hope all is well.

Nicole Goeckeritz said...

Hi sister I finally made a blog, I am not even close to your blogger skills, but it will do. I love and miss you guys! I can't wait until you are here. When is the day???

AmyLyn said...

This was so uplifting to read--thank you, Cami! I love knowing what's in your heart, and I loved that you included those quotes. I love quotes. You ARE a good mommy