
We made it. I don't think there is really anything easy about flying home alone with two children, but we managed just fine. At the Salt Lake Airport there was a nice gentleman that I happened to sit down next to while waiting for my flight and as we were talking we realized we were both headed to the same destination. He was going on a church history tour and was meeting up with some family when we got to Burlington. He was very nice and helped me get on and off the planes and even watched my bags for me while me and the girls went to the lady's room. The first flight was a little over 4 hours. Two hours into the flight I really didn't know how I was going to manage. Mylee was crying and thrashing about, Kelsey was bugged by Mylee and cried and whined periodically as Mylee would kick her or pull her hair, take her toy, etc. Kelsey drank too much apple juice so Mylee and I got the pleasure of taking her to the bathroom near the end of this 2 hour period. The lady I sat next to was very nice and didn't seem too bugged by the two crazy kids by her. But then, there was peace!! Kelsey and Mylee both fell asleep. Even better, this Delta flight had TV screens and I got to watch the gymnastics beam final!! I was glad Shawn Johnson won gold. She earned it! Nastia had an awesome routine as well, very solid and nearly perfect.
Thank goodness they slept until we landed. I got some breakfast from Wendy's for me and the girls, took the girls to the bathroom, and boarded the plane to Burlington. I was a little bugged because we sat on the plane for 45 minutes until we took off. I don't know what that was about, but once we were in the air it took about 50 minutes to get to Burlington. Kelsey slept the whole time--thank goodness for that, she was grumpy!!--Mylee slept once we took off. When we arrived in Burlington Kelsey started to tell me her tummy hurt. I wasn't surprised because she wouldn't eat any of the breakfast I bought for her. I had some princess fruit snacks for her though and never once had she ever refused those, except this time. When she didn't take those, I knew something was wrong. We continued to walk to the baggage claim, not quite to the bathrooms, then she started throwing up. I couldn't run to the bathroom and leave Mylee and I didn't want Kelsey throwing up all over the airport floor, so i was completely flustered and at a loss as to what i should do. I was holding a blanket and grabbed Kelsey and had her throw up in the blanket over in a corner, leaving Mylee in the middle of the airport floor. Thank goodness a lady noticed what was happening and offered to take Mylee into the bathroom while Kelsey continued to throw up in the blanket. Kelsey then cried calling for her Daddy hunched over, holding her tummy until we ran into my friend Michelle. Boy was I glad to see her. When driving home Kelsey threw up again and continued to throw up about 5 or 6 times when we got home. Despite being sick, she was SO SO glad to be home. When she walked in the door she said, "MOM, my bike!" As we walked into the living room, "MOM, my pink chair! My toys!" When we got to her room, "MOM, my pink bed!!" Today I heard her scream for joy when she found her princess dress-up clothes.
I feel pretty caught up on my rest, but me and the girls are still on Utah time. They won't go to bed until 10 P.M. and we haven't been waking up until 9 A.M. Today I was headed out to go to the store to get some diapers, only to find out our car isn't working properly and our other car is in storage (we put the Jeep on storage with our insurance to save some money). So currently I am without a car. Me and the girls walked to the store to get diapers instead. It was a long and hot walk, but we all enjoyed it. So everything isn't perfect, but we are doing well and are so happy to be home! Yesterday I weeded our flower beds (well we don't actually have flowers, just dirt). The weeds had gone crazy while we have been gone. We are counting down until Blake gets home! We miss him!
6 comments:
Cami, I've been there and done that and I completely feel for you! I wish I could have been there to help you because I KNOW!
Good luck and hopefully we get to see you guys soon!
OH WOW! What an ordeal. I'm sure you are all very happy to be home...safe and sound. It was so fun to see you!
I'm so glad you made it home! Flying with two is crazy but I'm not sure I could handle the throwing up part... hopefully I don't ever have too! Niah can't wait to see her friend Kelsey at church tomorrow.
Cami! You're amazing! You started by saying, "We managed just fine . . ." You have a great positive attitude. It was great to see you last month.
You're a rockstar Cami!
Can we say Super Mom!?? Way to manage! I really do have a lot of respect for you and your "braveness" in even attempting to travel alone on a plane w/ the kids. I'm so glad you're back home in your own bed now.
When I told Logan about this post, he reminisced a little about his "traveling days" when he flew so often to Alaska. He never really knew how to help mom's traveling alone w/ kids, without getting himself into an awkward position. It would be interesting to hear what your feeling on that would be...a complete stranger-man offering help. Hummm.
Post a Comment