Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I'm Officially a "Couponer" Now

I blame it on one emotional evening I had regarding our grocery budget. Yes, we do make a salary now, THANK GOODNESS!! But that doesn't mean that we don't follow a very strict budget. I just haven't been able stay within the limit that we had set aside for groceries (food, home items, diapers, etc.). After lots of prayer and some humbling, I came across this blog:

freebies2deals.com.

The day I came across it was a day when there was a deal going on for Toy Story 1 and 2--Get both movies for 13.98 using coupons and a Toys R Us sale. Well I got my movies and I was hooked! I truly felt that my prayers had been answered. I went through her blog trying to learn more about couponing. Then I remembered there was a lady in our stake that does couponing so I contacted her and she invited me over to her house and gave me the 101 on couponing and gave me some leftover newspaper adds and directed me to some sites she refers to to learn about deals:


hip2save.com

moneysavingmom.com


I've created a binder with categories and inserts to put all my coupons in like this:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1235782586981


So far I have saved over $65 in 2 weeks from couponing. I have been tracking my savings using this:

http://www.thecouponproject.com/the_coupon_project/2010/01/free-downloadable-2010-savings-tracker.html


Today I hit K-mart's Double coupon sale event (goes on all week) and went to Walgreens using their Register Rewards Program along with Coupons and got all these items for:
$23

3 (75fl.oz.) Tide
2 (6 pack) Ensure--that's all Blake can eat right now
3 Oral B crossaction toothbrushes
3 Pro-health Crest Toothpaste
1 Gallon of milk

Without coupons I would have paid, $55--that's even with the items being on sale.

Anyone want to do this with me? check out those blogs :)

I'm hoping that I can go under our specified amount for groceries and save the excess to go towards a trip to Disneyland!!

The lady on moneysavingmom.com uses only $40 a week for her family of 4. That includes diapers and non-food items. I love how she does freezer meals too, she has some great tips.

4 comments:

miquelle and cody said...

I've been trying to do better too...I'll have to check out those sites. Let me know if you come across a super good deal...like the movies..I'll do the same for you! :)

Logan and Tanya said...

Unbelievable! And good for you! I'm sooo impressed, and I really (again) wish we lived closer to do this together. I think we both kind of get the same kind of thrill! Good luck with it, and I think you should do a weekly post like this w/ your good deals for the week! I'd LOOOVE to see what you're getting! (It helps me dream of living closer to civilization some day so I can start couponing more, too!)

Sam and Carmin said...

Cami! I am making the same discovery! And it's wonderful to feel like I can finally "afford" the extras that would always come up after my grocery bill was spent--the toothpaste and contact solution variety. Couponing has helped me establish a 1-year supply of hygiene items, and I love it!

I subscribed to the paper for 3 months, and now I feel like I am stocked so I don't need any more coupons. But here in AK, we don't get the coupon inserts with food items. They are 95% personal hygiene. So my approach would be different if I lived somewhere that got the food deals, too.

My best purchase was having a grocery cart LOADED with groceries. Value before coupons was $96. I walked out paying $22, then I sent off for a $4 rebate. If that comes in, then I would have spent $18 for $96 of groceries! I love it. And I'm glad you love it too. You look at different sites than I do, so thanks for posting your links.

I *heart* register rewards deals at Wags!

Amber said...

This is great! I really want to get into "couponing," but have no clue how to start. I look forward to hearing about how it goes for you!