On Halloween of all days we moved to Fort Worth, Texas for Blake to complete his Orthopedic Pediatric Surgery training at Cook Children's Hospital. We will be living here for the next four months in an apartment rented out by the Ortho Department in a nice area 3 miles away. This rotation is new for the program because the pediatric orthopedist is retiring in Lubbock. One resident came here before us and was put up in what was an appartently awful yet furnished apartment so we were the first ones to test out this new apartment. It is nice and I don't have any complaints about the apartment itself other then maybe that it was unfurnished. The attending doctors willingly donated their old furniture and kitchen items for us to use. These items were stored in a storage unit until the day of our move. Blake loaded everything up onto a Uhaul while me and the girls left earlier in the day to arrive before the office closed so we could get keys to our apartment. When Blake arrived I had no idea what to expect when he opened the trailer. Everything is in usable, but very worn condition. We acquired a couch, kitchen table with 6 chairs, a desk, a coffee table, 4 end tables, a full-sized bed, two lamps, two tv's (which don't work by the way), a small entertainment center that is currently being used as storage for our homeschooling supplies, and some kitchen supplies. We had to bring some things from home, but not too much.
It's been a new experience living with people above us again. Overall though, those above and around us are very friendly and quiet. We are probably the loud ones. My biggest erk is that I have to go to the laundry mat once a week because we weren't able to acquire a washer and dryer and didn't have a way to get ours back home if we brought it. I'll be EXTRA grateful for my washer and dryer when I get home!
The city is wonderful, with many things to do and some really neat parks. The weather here is so much more mild then Lubbock too, most days needing nothing more then a jacket if that. Across the street is Central Market, which our girls call the grocery store palace because essentially that is what it feels like. I've never seen a grocery store so elaborate as that one. It's totally overpriced though, so I don't do my shopping there. Occassionally though I'll take the girls over to get free samples throughout the store and play at their playground outside their store. Next to the grocery store are a bunch of boutiques and restaurants and World Market. Just South of us is a really nice park that the girls and I walk to often.
Our home in Lubbock currently sits vacant while friends and neighbors keep an eye on it for us. Hopefully it stays quite there!





No comments:
Post a Comment