Friday, July 27, 2012

Introducing...Kayden Charles Clifton!!

Kayden Charles Clifton was born on Saturday, June 30th, 2012 at 3:46 PM. He weighed in at 7lbs. 4 oz. and measured in at 19.5 inches long. Kayden was by FAR my easiest delivery, but also my LONGEST labor! I checked into the hospital the morning of at 4 A.M. One of my friends came over to my home to be with my girls. My contractions at that point were pretty painful and because of my experience with Mylee--getting sent home when I was only measuring 2 centimeters only to return back within a matter of hours at a 9 and ready to deliver--I played it safe and went into the hospital. I was disappointed when I was only measuring at a 2, but hoped things would progress quickly being that this was my 4th baby.

It was a blessing to have Kayden on Saturday because Blake was able to be with my during the entire labor and delivery. After I was admitted we settled into our room and tried to get some sleep. I felt comfort in knowing that I wasn't going to have this baby at home and I didn't have to have the anxiety of debating over when I should go to the hospital. After 9 hours of hard labor and not much progress I asked for an epidural. Blake called in one of his buddies that he trusted and knew would do a good job. Unfortunately my epidural only worked on the right side of my body AGAIN!! Yes this was the 3rd time that this happened. After getting the tube in my back re-adjusted and getting a ton more medication, my left side finally numbed up. I was disappointed in how numb I was, I was hoping to feel something, but I do have to admit that it was nice to not be in pain anymore and get some much needed rest! After about an hour, my doctor came in and decided to put me on pitocin (spelling? my hubby is a Dr. NOT me!!) to help me dilate. Two hours later I was completely dilated and ready to deliver--at this point we had clocked in about 12 hours at the hospital!! I was STARVING and hoping that Kayden would come soon so I could at least eat something! My nurse had come in to check on me and I had a feeling things had progressed so I had her check me and sure enough the baby's head was right there. My doctor was quickly called in and a team of nurses got everything set up. Once it was time to push I only had to push about 4 times and he was out. No drama, just peaceful and beautiful. I actually got emotional this time. I was in awe at the miracle of life! Blake was so sweet and with me the entire time. My doctor was wonderful as were my nurses.


Blake holding his son for the first time.

Girls helping to bath Kayden for the first time



After a couple of hours Blake went to pick up the girls. They were all SO excited to meet their new baby brother. Lanaea looked at him and said, "Ahhh...he loves me..." She continues to say this. It makes my heart melt. Mylee was a little reluctant and distracted by all the noises. At one point Kayden was crying and she covered her ears...it was a little much for her. But we were eventually able to get her to hold Kayden. The girls also got to help the nurse give him his first bath. I love the set up in this hospital because they were able to do everything right in the room I delivered in. They even gave Blake and I an hour to ourselves after Kayden was born to have some one-on-one time which I really appreciated and treasured. The hospital had just completed a new wing to the hospital which included a new labor and delivery and postpartum facilities. So the facilities were top notch and brand new. Their only hiccup, which actually was really funny--were their faucets. They were the faucets that turn on when your hand goes over a sensor. Well the faucet in our room would go on an off randomly unless something was covering the sensor. I didn't know what it was at first...but finally figured it out when my doctor was checking on me one time and the faucet was going on and off like crazy. We all had a good laugh. So much for technology and trying to make things easier :).
All settled in my room checking my son out. All toes and fingers accounted for!

Blake took the girls home that evening and I was transferred to the postpartum floor. I had no interruptions from nurses the entire night...it was WONDERFUL!! Usually they are in and out needing this and that, but they left me alone and I was so grateful. My room had a queen sized bed and felt very comfortable. The only problem was when I took a shower the next morning I didn't realize until I was finished showering that my room wasn't stocked with towels!! Opps! Blake came with the girls the next evening and we went home as a family. Before we all left the hospital I was changing Kayden's diaper, and of course my girls were curious for obvious reasons, and as I was changing him he peed all over his face and Lanaea's face. Lanaea yelled eww and I laughed and laughed. It was a good introduction to the many discussions we have had on the difference between boys and girls :). Blake had to return to work the next day so I opted to stay another day at the hospital to take care of my girls hoping I would get some help from friends to watch my girls during the day--Luckily I did.
The girls lovin' on their brother before we take him home. Notice the queen sized bed!!


At home in his own bed...sorry Kayden we only had girly sheets:)

5 comments:

Emily said...

Welcome Kayden! Love the update and birth story. Happy he is here safe and sound and hope you are all settling in ok.

Astorga Crew said...

Hooray for a healthy baby and great delivery! I love birth stories; thanks for posting it! Congratulations to you and your family!

Monica said...

Congrats Clifton family. Blake, I enjoyed the pic the most where Cami captioned that you were holding your son for the first time...it sounded so funny almost to hear that. I'm glad you got a boy now! Cami, thanks for the update and the birth story and glad things went so well in this great hospital.

Sam and Carmin said...

Yay! so glad for the pics and the story. Congrats! He looks wonderful.

Dionne said...

I love that picture of Blake and Kayden -- proud papa ;)