Sunday, April 6, 2014

General Conference April 2014


General Conference has always been important and special to me. In my teenage years it felt like Christmas. I yearned to hear the words of the prophets and was excited to heed their counsel. Since being a mother, it has become difficult to watch and enjoy conference like I used to, especially living outside of Utah where we have to rely on a good internet connection and a competent computer to participate. 

In past conferences, I created a King Benjamin type environment by making a large tent for the kids to sit in to mimic the tents the people of King Benjamin erected when they listened to him speak from his tower near the temple. I also made use of resources online to print off activity packets. But this method was just not working for us. The kids were irreverent, they fought over who would get to sit where in the tent, the tent would fall apart, they got disinterested in their activities, etc. So I endeavored to search the internet and pray to find out what I could do to help my children be more reverent during conference and help them realize the importance and sacredness of the conference. I wanted to help them understand how significant it is to be able to listen to living prophets counsel us in our day.

I came across an idea that proved to be successful with my kids. I found it here . I changed it a little bit to better fit my family. Each of the pockets contain pictures of all the general authorities. When someone is speaking you place them on the podium and can write with a dry erase marker what they talked about. When they are finished speaking, you place them in their chair. There is also a map to place where new temples are announced, a place to put down the statistics of the church and a music section. 

I added a Conference Cash section. The kids could earn conference cash by adhering to eight difference guidelines. They could then use cash to buy conference treats or privileges. I had complied a folder for the three girls with activity packets that matched their learning level. All of them had to take notes during each of the Apostles' talks. Kelsey wrote down what she learned. Mylee pasted and colored pictures with varying topics under the apostles pictures and Lanaea colored a train car with the apostle's name and picture on it found here

This method worked so perfectly with my kids!!! They sat and listened through all 4 sessions of general conference....8 hours!! Granted we were not free of arguing and sibling quarrels, but all in all it was pretty fantastic. I was even able to take notes during almost every talk. At the end of conference they kids got a prize if they had taken notes during each of the Apostle's talks. Kelsey got a giant coloring book, Lanaea got a barbie doll and Mylee got a jewelry set. 


 This conference was so great and I feel so uplifted and renewed after listening to the messages. I'm excited for the written talks to come out so I can better study them.
The Completed Board. Mylee is wearing her new clip-on earrings. 


No comments: