Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Mystery Shop Disaster
Blake graciously watched the girls for me while I did some errands yesterday. It was so wonderful to move in and out of stores so quickly! One of my errands was doing a mystery shop at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I have done this shop numerous times before and usually do it because they not only pay me, but reimburse me for an item up to $8. I usually can always use some new kitchen gadget. Well, I had quite the experience yesterday. As part of the mystery shop, I have to browse through all the departments and note the names of all the employees I pass by and whether or not they greeted me. I also have to ask an employee where an item is and see what they do. For this particular shop, I had to ask about air purifiers and judge them on their selling abilities and so forth. As I was pursing the store, I saw a lady that had helped me during a previous shop I had done there. During that shop I had to pretend I was engaged and had to start a wedding registry. I remember being frazled as she asked more and more detailed questions about my presumed wedding. Well, she took one look at me yesterday and I know she recognized me. She must have caught on last shop that I was a mystery shopper. As I walked away and went into another department, my suspicions were confirmed as I saw her scurry by, whispering to every employee she passed. I knew exactly what she was doing. When I walked by the employees she had already talked to they were overly attentive to me. Employees starting coming out from everywhere and all of them were overly excited to help and assist me. I felt like a gold fish in a glass bowl. Everyone was looking at me! I would have left, but needed the money, so I proceeded with the shop. I had to make a return and a purchase as part of my requirement. When I got in line to do my return and make my purchase an employee immediately picked me out of a line of people and took me over to an empty register to do my return and make my purchase. I couldn’t get out of there faster! I felt like saying, "Yeah you figured me out." But I was afraid that I might not get paid if I said something. All that and I only got $8 bucks and I ended up buying fruit snacks because I couldn't find something under $8 to buy that I needed. I’m not going to do that shop again unless they offer me big bucks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
How fascinating! Mom had told me that you did something like that...I would love to know more details! How often do you have a mystery shop? What kinds of stores? I think I remember that you did a restaurant once too...? Very fun "side job"! Sorry you felt like that one was a flop...at least you made Kelsey's day w/ fruit snacks! ;)
That is hilarious! Good job for keeping your cool and not giving yourself away. I'd never heard about actually being a mystery shopper before. Its neat!
I would have panicked. It sounds like you did well under pressure! Mystery shopping sounds like fun, I might have to get more details from you and maybe look into doing it.
This sounds like a story right out of a novel or movie....I had such a great visual of employees popping out of nowhere, overly anxious...you're a great story teller! My dad is an avid mystery shopper....he loves it!
Wow! You totally should have got your $8 and then told a manager what happened!--human nature IS fascinating, as Tanya said. Can everybody do this or are you hired or something? :-) Crazy--I would have been uncomfortable too...or I just would have been a really high-maintenance shopper! hee hee
Post a Comment