Tuesday, May 27, 2008

It was 5 years and 1 day ago that....


Blake and I went on our first date! I had so much fun and knew that I had meant someone special. Before I get to our date, let me give you a little background. A few nights before I had gone out on a blind date with his roommate Matt who was my roommate’s soon-to-be fiancĂ©’s brother and Matt was also Blake’s sister-in-law’s brother so there were lots of connections between Matt and Blake. To make a long story short, Blake and I hit it off pretty well and realized we had met a few months previous when two of my best friends from high school introduced us. That night, however, we were both going to different parties and we didn’t really say so much as hello to one another. But obviously there was something about him that caught my eye or I wouldn’t have remembered him on my date with Matt.

Again, skipping a lot of details, the next morning after mine and Matt’s date, I had a voice mail on my phone from Blake asking me if I wanted to go to the muddy puddy caves with him. I was very flattered that he would be so bold as to call me the next day for a date especially when his roommate had asked me out the night before. Blake did ask Matt’s permission. I called him back and let him know that I had other plans that night—another date—but would be happy to do it another time. I’m not sure if he asked me then or called me again later, but he did ask me out again to go jet skiing at Utah Lake on Memorial Day—two days later. I said yes, but was feeling a little shy about getting in a swimsuit for a first date with a guy I didn’t know very well, but was excited to go with someone that seemed so show some interest in me. I had so much fun on our date and went home with a new crush.

These are some of the things I remember most about our date. Before we got into the water, we were all lathering up with sunscreen and Blake offered to help put some on my back. A little surprised, I gave him my sunscreen and let him do it. Ahhh!! A had never had a guy do that before. Later Blake said it was no big deal, but to me it was. I liked how confident he was in asking me though. When going out on the water, we shared a Jet ski/wave runner and the other couple shared another. At first I was a little reluctant to put my arms around him too tight, but it didn’t take long to where I felt comfortable and enjoyed holding him tight. I remember him reaching down and touching my leg and commenting on how smooth they were—and you bet they were, I probably spent 30 minutes shaving for that date in the shower. We cruised around doing all sorts of tricks with the jet ski. We were laughing hysterically and having so much fun. At one point he even dumped me off. As the day drew on and we were cruising along on the water, Blake would turn his face to the side to talk to me and our cheeks would touch and I remember getting butterflies every time they touched. As our relationship progressed, Blake admitted to getting butterflies too. We said goodbye with a nice hug on my door step and again got butterflies and that was that!

Not wanting to be too forward, I texted him a day later saying how much fun I had and thanked him for the date hoping that he would ask me out again. He did and we were pretty much inseparable after about a week. I LOVE you Blake, you’re my eternal sweetheart and I can't imagine my life without you!!!
P.S. The picture above was taken soon after we were married in Moab, Utah while we were biking slick rock with some friends.

6 comments:

Niki Carter said...

Cami! I didn't even know you had a blog! Thanks for your comment. I actually do like jogging. The only problem is that it hurts my lower back. I think I need better shoes. I loved reading about you and Blake. I never knew any of that! It sounds like you guys do a lot of fun outdoor things together. I haven't looked at your whole blog yet but I can't wait! Yours girls are little dolls! Love ya, Niki
What a dating queen you were in college! Three dates in a row with different guys!!

Logan and Tanya said...

Ooh la la, Cami! What a great story! Way to remember the detail. And wow...my little brother was quite the romantic...who knew?! ;)

miquelle and cody said...

How fun to hear about your first date together! I think Blake's comment on your smooth legs is hilarious!

Nicole Goeckeritz said...

It was so good to talk to you the other day. You guys are the cutest couple ever and I am so glad you found eachother. You compliment eachother so well. I love you Cami.

Annette said...

Goodness, he's a charmer! What a fun date together. Thanks for sharing such a cute memory.

Melissa Snyder said...

What a fun story to read. I loved reading about your first date! That sounds pretty romantic Blake. Way to catch her attention! We hope all is going well. Hope to see you guys sometime. Take care.
Our family website is www.lanceandmelissa.blogspot.com if you would like to see us.