Later in the week on Wednesday night we had an awful scare with Blake's health. It was seriously 14 hours of you know what!! One of the complications from his surgery is the risk of getting bowel obstructions in his small intestine. He has had obstructions in the past, but as time has gone on he has been blessed with fewer incidents. Wednesday night however he got one of the worst obstructions he had had by far. Having a bowel obstruction is a serious condition that needs to be attended to quickly if it persists too long. If his obstruction didn't clear within the next few hours we were prepared to drive to Abilene where his doctor is, for him to be admitted to the hospital. Which at that point we would be looking into possible surgery which neither of us wanted! We were both up all night. I laid in bed with my heart racing, feeling sick with worry. I felt so helpless. Blake of course was miserable, but a trooper through it all. With all the pain and discomfort he was experiencing, the only thing he had to say was "Oh man!" I find myself constantly amazed at his stamina and faith. The obstruction finally did clear the next morning and within two hours, after getting some much needed rest, Blake was back at work as though nothing had transpired over the last 14 hours! To make matters worse Kelsey woke up later in the evening throwing up and she continued to throw up and feel miserable into the afternoon. After everything had settled down, I snuggled Kelsey up with a bowl near by and put a movie on for she and Mylee and I went and laid Lanaea and myself down for a nap. I was emotionally and physically drained!! I had grabbed my phone with the secret hope that I might receive a phone call from a loved one. And sure enough, just as I was about to lay down I received a phone call from my mother-in-law because she felt she needed to call me. It could not have been better timing. I'm glad she was responsive to the spirit that morning to call me in my time of need.
Friday managed to make it though the day with no drama and we went to the 116th Annual Stock Show of the city of Fort Worth. At the show there is a carnival, a petting zoo, various animals on display for show--mainly cattle and horses, but others as well. There are also various vendors at the event along with a daily and nightly rodeo and various shows and performances. We didn't have tickets to the rodeo, but we mainly walked around the various vendors and went to see the animals. It was a lot of fun and the animals were a hit! Lanaea was especially fun at the petting zoo. She was fearless like usual and wanted to pet every animal. If an animal would put its face in hers she was say, "Hey" and either brush it away or move. Mylee was a little more timid but came to enjoy the experience and Kelsey, like Lanaea was fearless and enjoyed every minute of the experience. Kelsey asked at one point when we were going to go to the buck show. At first I didn't understand her question, thinking she thought there were supposed to see male deer there, but then realized she was talking about the bull-riding. We have to take our girls to a rodeo one day. You would think it would be easy in Texas, but we haven't managed to attend one yet!!
Saturday was mostly a day of rest. Blake studied most of the day and the girls and I caught up on some household chores. That evening we went to Sam's club of all places to get our $9.00 pizza and free samples. Yes, we are cheap and yes this is what we call eating out. We had a great time though and Blake even surprised us with ice cream smoothies...YUMM!! They had great samples too!! That evening Blake and I watched "Courageous". I would highly reccommend watching it!! It was wonderful. It's a Christian film that is about these police officers learning and committing to be better fathers. There was so much truth in what was said and the message of the movie was so powerful. Blake and I got some great ideas to do with our own daughters. My favorite idea in the movie was when one of the fathers took his 15 year-old daughter out to eat at a nice resteraunt to signify it being her first date. He explained to her the significance of dating and some rules. He also gave her a ring that would be replaced one day with her engagement ring. It was very sweet and touching.
This Sunday was really nice too. We had a beautiful lesson in Sunday School on Adam and Eve and their fall and Blake and I were able to watch Kelsey give a WONDERFUL talk on agency in primary. I felt SO PROUD of my daughter. She got up front of the whole room of children at the podium with her talk in hand and spoke loady and clearly the words in her talk and then she closed with a beautiful testimony about the the Prophet Joseph Smith, testifying that he was a true prophet and of our Savior Jesus Christ. She is growing up to be such a beautiful young lady both inside and out!
This Sunday was really nice too. We had a beautiful lesson in Sunday School on Adam and Eve and their fall and Blake and I were able to watch Kelsey give a WONDERFUL talk on agency in primary. I felt SO PROUD of my daughter. She got up front of the whole room of children at the podium with her talk in hand and spoke loady and clearly the words in her talk and then she closed with a beautiful testimony about the the Prophet Joseph Smith, testifying that he was a true prophet and of our Savior Jesus Christ. She is growing up to be such a beautiful young lady both inside and out!
So here's to another week, I'm praying for an uneventful up-coming week with NO accidents!! Oh and did I mention we only have 3 more weeks here and then we get to go home!! I'm so excited!! Then we get to go on vacation to Utah to ski and see family. I'll find out in 2.5 weeks whether we will be having a girl or a boy too!!




3 comments:
I am so thankful things turned out okay with both Blake and Lanaea. We were cracking up when you said Blake took some stuff home and fixed her there...that is a blessing you will always have access to. I love that Kelsey called it a buck show...that's hilarious! I hope you have a great week! I'm glad you'll be in your own home again soon.
Sounds like you have had quite the week! I am hoping that the next 3 are VERY uneventful. :) I can't wait to find out what you are having...we need to be neighbors again someday with all of our kids the same ages!
Oh sweet Cami! What an emotional post! So glad everything worked out okay for everyone. Hugs from the "other" land of the "buck shows!" ;) Love it. :)
Post a Comment